F&E Achievements 2012
F&E Achievements 2012
• Olympic Torch Relay May 2012
188,500+ spectators (35% Cornwall’s Population)
Over £17M worth of PR Coverage; 1 Billion viewers Worldwide
£3.77M influenced economic spend
240 reporters, photographers and film crews from around the world including Japan, China, Australia, Brazil, France, America, South America, Asia, Russia,
Poland, Finland, Hungary and the Netherlands were present at the start of the relay at Land’s End
Over 50% of businesses thought that the Torch Relay was of great importance to the image of Cornwall
Over 2,000 tweets using the #DayOne2012
36% increase in international visitors to Cornwall’s official online visitor guide was experienced in the days post event
• Iberian Tall Ships Regatta 2014, Falmouth
Event secured for Falmouth, launch and press call organised in December to announce the three ports, Greenwich London, Falmouth Cornwall and Santander Spain obtaining local TV coverage and national on-line coverage
• Falmouth Finn Festival – £30,000 Contribution; £944,126 of national and local PR Coverage; approx £200,000 economic impact; 94 Sailors from 31 nations; Coordination of Media Centre; Development and delivery of communications plan; support for shore side activities; 12 Press Releases produced and distributed, 2 press calls organised. Extensive tv, radio and press coverage.
• Festival of Sport Cornwall - £15,000 Contribution; Event management support resulting in 1,700 competitors; 4,500 Spectators; 65% out of county visitors; AVE £242,492 + Cornwall Celebrates Coverage
• Fowey Festival of Words and Music – development of business plan and marketing plan, sponsorship document; management of Festival re-brand and launch event, press call held, 80 attended
• Falmouth Oyster Festival - £5,000 Contribution; 35,000 Visitors; Hot Chef Challenge filmed for next ITV national television series of “The Hungry Sailors”
• Cornish Rowing Challenge; £500 Contribution; Assisted with planning; responsible for press coordination. Live coverage on the One Show and extensive local tv, radio, print and online coverage.
• Service Level Agreements produced and agreed for events funded through Cornwall Council budgets with Du Maurier Society (£55k), Cornwall Film Festival (£10K) and FEAST (£50K)
• Cornwall Cricket Festival, development support for business and marketing plans. Funding for 2013 agreed
• Hallmark Event Funding Application Process finalised
• Cornwall Celebrates 2012 - additional PR support and journalist hosting packages achieved the following PRV:
Finn Festival £47,109
Pendennis Cup £6,024
World Bellyboarding Championships £204,694
Festival of Sport £98,927
Cornish Rowing Challenge £457, 032
• Themed Press Releases produced and distributed for:
Cornwall Spring Gardens January)
Top 4 2012 Events (March)
Late Summer Music Festivals (July)
Autumn Food and Drink Festival (August)
Highlight events in 2013 (Oct)
• Press Releases distributed to national media on behalf of Hallmark event organisers
• “What's-on” pages on VisitCornwall website continue to grow in enquiry popularity with September being the first month they’ve been above “Where to Stay”
Event Support, Regulation and Management
• Event database increased to include 196 events (25% increase from 2011) and feed Calendar/What’s On pages of VisitCornwall website
• Cornwall Council now has a single point of contact and the event notification and assessment process is in place
• Over 250 event applications have been processed through this system
• ‘Organising Events in Cornwall’ event pages are up and running on Cornwall Council’s website, providing a useful toolkit for event organisers including event notification forms, event guidance documents, a Cornwall Council events calendar and a link to VisitCornwall’s website
• Seminars have been delivered to over 300 event organisers to inform of the new process and provide awareness training on how to run safe and successful events
• 2 half day Special Events training sessions were delivered in October by Zurich Municipal, for 40 members of staff who have involvement in events
• Funding pledges have been obtained from relevant services to finance the single point of contact and admin support
• A follow-up report was taken to Cornwall Council’s Corporate Leadership Team where recommendations for development of an Event Strategy and the core event coordination team to be established within CDC, was agreed
• Funding pledges from relevant services to finance new staffing arrangements agreed on a permanent basis
Olympic Torch Relay
"Frankly speaking I was surprised. Seb [Coe] showed us a little movie after Land’s End and I saw masses. I know Cornwall and it’s not the most populated area in the UK. It was unbelievable. It’s a massive success and it’s something that I hoped for".
Jaques Rogge, IOC President
"From our perspective, in terms of co-ordinating reporting for the event Cornwall were a very helpful and engaged partner, understood what we were looking for by way of products quickly and what we were aiming to achieve and that you were keen to play your part in supporting learning across later authorities on the route. Whilst we have evolved and tweaked our processes this first local engagement is very much a template to look back on and work through with other authorities."
Jack Hindley, UK Wide Operations, Government Olympic Executive
Falmouth Finn Festival
"The JP Morgan Asset Management Finn Festival was a major sailing event for Falmouth. Events of this size require substantial funding and organisation and the support provided by the Festival and Events Team really was invaluable. They helped to secure public sector financial support and our headline sponsor and working closely with Ben Ainslie’s PR agency, maximised worldwide PR coverage for the event."
Robin Taylor, Event Director
Cornish Rowing Challenge
"Getting new events off the ground is really hard. We could not have done it without the financial support and guidance provided by the Festivals and Events team at VisitCornwall. The Cornish Rowing Challenge hosted by St Mawes aimed to celebrate both rowing and Cornwall and we most certainly did!
VisitCornwall and their contracted PR agency meant that we had fantastic local and national PR coverage including a live broadcast on the BBC’s One Show. All the GB girls an absolutely brilliant time and Jess (who is a proud Northerner) commented "Cornish people are so warm and friendly, but terrifying at the same time" which I thought was a verdict to be proud of!!
The event was a brilliant end to the summer 2012."
Annie Vernon, GB Olympic Rower - Event Organiser, Cornish Rowing Challenge
Festival of Sport
"We have worked with Visit Cornwall in building a world class mass participation sport’s festival from scratch and they have been with us as true partners every step of the way. I’ve worked with multiple tourist boards around the world on this genre of events and VisitCornwall have been the most enthusiastic and professional tourist body I’ve worked with. Their ‘can do’ attitude has helped shape the event; through smoothing over teething problems, investing in the broader marketing and communication and door opening and local event expertise. Their empathy of the challenges faced by a year one event have also been highly understanding of a commercial model requiring investment in its early years to enable it to become sustainable down the line."
Nick Rusling, CEO, Human Race Group Ltd