Cornish Pasty Festival
Cornish Pasty Festival
The Mining and Pasty Festival is a three day event celebrating the UNESCO World Heritage Site in Redruth; through pasties, mining and music! The event is focussed around the town centre and is completely free to attend. The Pasty Day on Saturday 7 September will this year be opened at 10am by TV chef and environmentalist James Strawbridge, and Marion Symonds (as seen on Britain's Best Bakery - ITV1) in a live recording for the Cornwall TV Channel. The event also sees performances by Tex-Mex band Los Pacaminos, featuring 80s pop sensation Paul Young. Local great-grandmother Eunice Woolcock, who sprung to fame with her larger-than-life personality, and exceptional crimping skills, on ITVs Food Glorious Food will be joined by Elaine Ead, as seen on BBC's The Fixer.
On the menu:
Friday 6 September – Miner’s Day
• Street Theatre from 3pm in Fore Street. A new play, written about the true story of the miner who sold his wife and emigrated, will be performed by drama students from Redruth School
• Public service by Rev Amanda Stevens in the afternoon
• An intriguing display of Cornish mining photographs and archives and art exhibition featuring mining landscapes by Yvonne Carter – all day. Plus experts from East Pool Mine with artefacts 3pm to 5pm. All at the Cornish Studies Library
• Art and craft exhibition and sale at the former Art and Graphics shop next to the Tinner’s Hounds – On all weekend
Vivienne Orchard (paintings in Oils, acrylics and mixed media)
Agnieszka Niesluchowska (indoor and outdoor ceramic forms)
Jo Mcintosh (Artwork in mixed media and textiles)
Saturday 7 September – Pasty Day – 10am onwards
• The town centre will be lined with high-quality Cornish food and drink stalls. See how many different pasty fillings you can try!
• Back by popular demand the free “make your own pasty” activity! At the former Boots shop near the main stage. 10am-2pm.
• Pick up an Oggy Treasure Trail for just 25p and receive a gift at the end. Can you answer all 10 questions correctly? There are special prizes for two lucky winners at 4pm.
• Live music on the main stage in order of appearance from 10am:
The Money Shot
Black Top Deluxe
• Street entertainment at the Tinners Hounds/Tatie Court:
11am Boekka and Penkevyll (with the famous ‘Oss)
12pm & 1:30 Aberfal Oggymen
12:50 Stamp and Go
3pm Pirates of St Piran
• New children’s fair at Flowerpot Chapel car park featuring:
Pillow wars and many more!
• Meet the celebrities at the cooking demonstrations; featuring James Strawbridge, Paul Young, Eunice Woolcock, Marion Symonds and Elaine Ead; all at St Rumon’s Club
• Crafty Pasties - children's crafts 10am to 2pm. Exhibitions continuing from Friday plus display of original documents from the Cornwall Record Office on the history of pasty making throughout the day – all at the Cornish Studies Library
• Refreshments and displays at Murdoch House, including exhibitions from pasty making firms, and a talk by a local producer at 2pm
• Live entertainment at St Rumon’s Club:
12pm St Aubyn Singers
2pm Illogan Sparnon Silver Band
9:30pm The Bubble – 70s/80s New Wave, Pop and Punk
• Get yourself a brand new Pasty Festival keyring, and look out for FREE Pasty Festival badges
• This year we are delighted to welcome back visitors from our twin town in Mexico, Real Del Monte. Look out for Mexican musicians over the weekend who have come to serenade you in the street!
Sunday 8 September – Memorial Day – 10am onwards
• 10am Pilgrimage from Bassett Stamp House to St Euny Church via Wheal Euny
• 11am Remembering in the Churchyards and in Church
• 11.30 In St Euny Church:
The Redruth Community Choir bring Remembering in Song
Music from official Mexican visitors
Demonstration of Cornish Dance
Exhibition of paintings and photographs
• 12.30 Pasty Lunch [order in advance - contact Rev Olive Stevens 01209 842372]
• 3pm Remembering again: A talk by Mr Alan Buckley and Cream Teas.
ALSO ON SUNDAY!
• Redruth Fun day – afternoon of music, performances and fair stalls at Victoria Park (TR15 2HQ). Refreshments, beer tent, bouncy castle, go karts and more. Run by Redruth Lions, opened by the Mayor at 12 midday.
• Los Pacaminos featuring Paul Young live in concert, 7pm The Zone Nightclub. Tickets £14, book online: lospacaminospastyfestival.eventbrite.com – tel: 01209 210038
- Disabled access
- Disabled parking
- Disabled toilets
- Guide dogs permitted
- Entrance flat / without steps
The town centre entertainment on Friday will take place between 15:00 and 17:00. On Saturday this will be from 10:00 to 16:00.