Love Cornwall Vote Cornwall… For its Fun Events
Cornwall is once again in the running to regain its title as the Best UK Holiday Destination for a tenth year at the prestigious British Travel Awards 2019. To celebrate being shortlisted (and hopefully winning), we’ve pulled together a selection of Love Cornwall Vote Cornwall blogs which we hope will inspire you to vote.
Next up is fun festivals and events.
Throughout the year Cornwall has a fantastic calendar of events and festivals for both locals and visitors to enjoy. We like to think Cornwall has some of the best events in the UK, from open air theatre in stunning locations to Christmas Markets full of wonderful gifts. Here's our Top 10 of amazing events that take place in Cornwall every year..
- You want music, we've got music! From the Eden Sessions where some of the biggest names in music play in front of the Eden Projects domes (Kylie, Elbow, Massive Attack, Chic, Elton John....) to small local festivals in towns such as Lostwithiel, There's plenty of choice! from folk to heavy metal, somewhere in Cornwall you will find some music to enjoy. The summer ends with Looe Live, where the small town of Looe is taken over by live music in every bar, cafe, street corner and outdoor stage.
- Talking of stages, we may be biased but we think Cornwall puts on some of the best outdoor theatre you will find anywhere in Britain. Local company Miracle tour each summer, taking their often hilarious plays to everywhere from the Isles of Scilly to Restormel Castle. And nobody who has ever seen Cornwall's Kneehigh Theatre company, either here in Cornwall or at venues around the world, will ever forget them.
- British champions are crowned every year at the World Belly Boarding Championships at Perranporth, It's surfing but not surfing... For those who prefer standing up on their boards, head up to Newquay where Boardmasters is one of Cornwall’s favourite surf festivals with surf competitions taking place throughout the day at Fistral Beach and music at night at Watergate Bay.
- The popular Port Eliot Festival takes place every summer in the woodland gardens and parklands of Port Eliot. It remains a rare original festival that celebrates the arts as much as the music with readings, art and comedy taking centre stage down by the river.
- Cornwall celebrates its local produce in wonderful food and drink festivals throughout the year. Starting with Porthleven Food Festival in April and going through to the Falmouth Oyster Festival in October. Along the way there are any number of beer festivals, cider festivals and even a secret gin festival (which we would tell you about, but it's a secret!)
- Everybody heads to Wadebridge at the start of June for the Royal Cornwall Show. You don't have to live in the countryside to attend, but you will come away wishing you did!
- With 300 miles of coastline, all of which can be walked on the South West Coast Path, it's no surprise that Cornwall has it's fair share of regattas, both for sailing and rowing. Both Fowey and Falmouth celebrate in a big way with week long events that include not only racing on the water but entertainment on land.
- Christmas Markets offer the ultimate gift buying experience with Mt Edgcumbe, Fowey, Truro and Padstow amongst the places offering festive treats each year.
- Truro City of Lights kicks off the festive season in a spectacular fashion every year as crowds gather for a wonderful celebration of light as the streets fill with processions and smiling faces.
- Finally, Christmas would not be Christmas without a trip to see the Mousehole Christmas Lights Every year thousands visit the fishing village in west Cornwall to see the floating displays of lights surrounding the harbour and the streets.
So, if that hasn't made you wish you were visiting Cornwall this year, we don't know what will....
If you do still need a bit of encouragement then check out our other blogs in the Love Cornwall Vote Cornwall series:
- Love Cornwall Vote Cornwall… For its Beaches
- Love Cornwall Vote Cornwall… For its Landscapes
- Love Cornwall Vote Cornwall… For its Food
- Love Cornwall Vote Cornwall… For its Iconic Heritage