Redgate Smithy is a 200 year old converted Smithy, and is now a friendly and welcoming B&B on the southern edge of Bodmin Moor.
Staying at Redgate Smithy
- Extensive and tasty menu that is cooked to order on the range
- Using local produce
- Served in the light and airy conservatory overlooking the garden
- Watch the birds over breakfast
- Lovely woodland garden for guests' use
- Patio and other seating areas
- Large conservatory which guests are also free to use at any time
- Comfortable beamed, well equipped cottage style bedrooms
- Each bedroom has its own Freeview Digital TV and DVD, and tea & coffee making facilities
- Redgate Smithy Food Guide and Food Maps to give you ideas for your evening meals
- Plenty of pubs and restaurants either locally or for when you are exploring out and about
- Local information and local Walking Maps
- Children over 12 welcome
- We are very Dog Friendly, and friendly dogs are most welcome!
- Off-road parking
Golitha Falls are set in the deep wooded valley of the River Fowey, as it tumbles over steep rapids down from the moor. They are tranquil, yet very mysterious; they are peaceful, yet beautiful and foreboding, all at once. Our local village is St.Cleer, near Liskeard, and Redgate Smithy is very close to Siblyback Lake, and to the World Heritage Site for Cornish Mining at Minions.
Birds and wildlife abound on and around Bodmin Moor, and there are excellent walking, riding, hacking, and fishing facilities locally. Bodmin Moor is the hidden heart of Cornwall, and it has a rich, rugged and beautiful landscape and heritage. Among the rugged tors that can be found near Minions, there is the famous Cheesewring and Daniel Gumb's Cave above the old granite quarry, and the fascinating rock formations of Sharp Tor and Kilmar Tor. There are many other ancient Neolithic sites all over the moor, and extensive picturesque Cornish Mining Industrial Heritage sites.
The very pretty Looe Valley Line still runs from Liskeard to Looe.
There are many excellent Pubs and Restaurants in the local and surrounding areas that we recommend to guests for your evening meals. We provide our own extensive and updated Food Guide and Food Maps to help you choose!
- Bodmin Moor and its beautiful scenery and wonderful walks!
- Golitha Falls Nature Reserve
- Sterts Theatre - a covered outdoor theatre!
- Kit Hill
- Carnglaze Caverns - an old slate mine and now also a fantastic concert venue!
- Porfell Wildlife Park
- The Monkey Sanctuary
- Callington Space Centre
- Daphne Du Mauriers Smugglers Museum
- Cardinham Woods
- Liskeard and the scenic Looe Valley Line
- Lanhydrock House and Gardens
- Lostwithiel and Restormel Castle
- The Eden Project is within easy reach (25 minutes)
- Both North and South Coasts are easily accessible. Cornwall is yours to explore!
Beaches and Harbours nearby
- Looe, Seaton and Downderry beaches are the nearest, on the South Coast
- The harbours of Looe, Polperro and Fowey are easy to get to
- There are also beaches, rugged coastline and harbours on the North Coast within a 45 minutes drive
STAYING FOR A WEEK?
We offer 7 Nights for the price of 6!
(at any time of the season)