Godrevy to Portreath AONB section
It runs past the evocative Deadman’s Cove, Hell’s Mouth and the collapsed sea cave known as Ralph's Cupboard. Legend has it this was once home to the giant Wrath who would lie in wait for passing ships, attack them for their treasure and eat the crew. The cliffs along the coast, many slumping seawards, are of unstable, soft slates. There was a massive cliff fall in the area in 2011.
Inland, a narrow strip of heathland gives way to large open fields. There are very few dwellings apart from some typical Cornish farmhouses. The Red River forms the southern boundary running through a valley of deciduous and mixed woodland with a nature reserve halfway along. To the east, part of Tehidy Country Park lies in the AONB, with lakes, woodland walks and excellent birdwatching. Magor Farm with the remains of a Roman villa is just outside the AONB boundary here.
At the western end of this stretch is the Knavocks, a rocky promontory and then Godrevy Beach which runs into Hayle Sands. Guillemots, razorbills, fulmar and cormorant are among the many seabirds that nest on the cliffs around the headland.
Above the beach are the grass covered dunes of Godrevy Towans which support rare wild flowers. Godrevy Lighthouse, on the offshore island and above the treacherous ‘Stones’ reef, was built in 1859 and was the inspiration for Virginia Woolf’s book ‘To the Lighthouse’.