South Coast - Central AONB section
It stretches inland up river almost to Truro and the ancient silted-up port of Tregony.
Around the creeks of the Fal, the landscape is of small farms and woodland. The Carrick Roads part of the Fal estuary is particularly deep and large ships often lie at anchor here up to and past the King Harry Ferry. Above the ferry sits the splendid house and grounds of Trelissick. The creeks themselves, largely undeveloped and tranquil, are home to may different birds from Black-necked Grebes to Great White Egrets.
Many small villages are located at the heads of creeks, often containing medieval churches such as Ruan Lanihorne, and St. Just in Roseland. The former Trelissick estate now forms National Trust gardens and parkland, and nearby is the King Harry Ferry, a well-known feature of the river and a well used link to the Roseland.
The coast around the Roseland consists of killas rocks which form the cliffs and shores of the bays and coves between the heights of Nare Head, Dodman Point, and Black Head. Below these promontories, sandy beaches abound, clean and unspoilt and popular with visitors in the summer.
Famous landmarks in this section of the AONB include the small but perfectly formed castle at St Mawescomplementing Pendennis Castle on the opposite shore, St. Anthony Lighthouse, built in 1834, which guards the entrance to the Carrick Roads, the thatched round houses in the village of Veryan and the beautiful church of St Just in Roseland.
At the eastern edge of the AONB lies the fishing village of Mevagissey, the old clay workings at Pentewan and, inland, the famous Lost Gardens of Heligan.