Lizard Lighthouse and Heritage Centre
The Lizard Lighthouse is Cornwall’s most southerly land lighthouse. This real Lighthouse has been shining a light for over 260 years, guiding ships safely home. With one amazing journey to the top you will come face to face with the lens, see breathtaking views and lose yourself in the romance of these amazing icons.
With the help of the National Lottery, the Lighthouse Engine Room has been developed into an interactive learning centre. There’s something for everyone. Be that powering up the foghorn, understanding satellite navigation for the Mariner, to the food you need on rock Lighthouses. Hands on fun for all!
Things to do:
• Listen to Lighthouse Keepers stories, about life on Rock Lighthouses.
• Track ships live as they battle through stormy waves.
• Build a giant foam lighthouse, as tall as you!
• Send a message using Morse Code
• Learn to spell your name, using Semaphore Flags.
• Learn about the dangers of the weather; complete your own log book.
• Power up the foghorn and let it blast.
Whilst in our centre discover our two 12 ft lightvessel optics; see how they dazzle as they show how light can dance around. Be amazed at the wave damaged door to the solid bronze Bishop Rock Lighthouse doors and much more.
• Children are very welcome but they must be they must be at least 1.1metres in height and physically capable of ascending and descending the staircases by themselves unaided. Under no circumstances can children or babies be carried up or down the staircases in the lighthouse.
• Sensible footwear must be worn (open toe sandals, without heel straps, flip-flops, high-heeled footwear and bare and stocking feet are not permitted). Alternative shoes can be provided.
• Anyone suffering from vertigo, heart of respiratory conditions is advised not to ascend the tower.
Other H&S restrictions may apply and the detailed H&S notice is available to view on the Trinity House website https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouse-visitor-centres/general-information-and-safety-for-lighthouse-visitors
Opening Times* – 11am until 5pm
March 26 onwards: Sunday - Thursday
April – October: Sunday – Thursday
Closed Friday & Saturday
New Temporary Exhibition for 2017: The support vessels of Trinity House.
Learn about Trinity House's support vessel service with our new interactive table game.
*Please check the Heritage centre is open before you visit: https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouse-visitor-centres/lizard-lighthouse-visitor-centre or telephone 01326 290202.
Trinity house reserves the right to close for operational reason at short notice. We apologies for any inconvenience caused. For details of any last minute closures please check the Trinity House website https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouse-visitor-centres/lizard-lighthouse-visitor-centre
Visits to the lighthouse are managed by Cardona Heritage under licence from Trinity House.
Cornwall’s only lighthouse you can climb is open. Hop along to the Lizard lighthouse. Give eggs a miss and try your skills at hunting for shipwrecks.Hunt runs on 16and 17 April, 11.00 am – 5.00 pm. New 2017 exhibition.
Children are very welcome, but they must be at least 1.1 metres in height and physically capable of ascending and descending the staircases by themselves unaided.
Check https://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouse-visitor-centres/lizard-lighthouse-visitor-centre for Terms and conditions.
Tel: 01326 290 202