June recipe: Paul Ainsworth's barbecued mackerel
,Paul Ainsworth spent eight years working in London restaurants before he opened Paul Ainsworth at No 6 in Padstow in 2006, which was awarded it’s first Michelin Star in September 2012. He has since opened the Italian themed Caffe Rojano also in Padstow.
Moving to Cornwall proved to him that the only way to cook is with local, seasonal produce, which is reflected in the recipe below...
- 4 fillets fresh mackerel, pin-boned
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 400ml olive oil
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch Bart salt
- 1 celeriac
- 200g French mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 4 slices Parma ham, cut into 2cm ribbons
- 2 handfuls mixed salad leaves
Serves : 4
Cooking Time: 60 minutes plus 1-2 hours to prepare the celeriac
- Start by peeling the celeriac and cutting it into thin matchsticks. Cover with salt and set aside for 1-2 hours – this helps to draw out some of the water
- Into a clean cloth squeeze the celeriac to remove all the extra moisture. Mix with the mayonnaise, some lemon juice and a touch of vinegar. Season with the mustard, salt and pepper then set aside until ready to serve
- Mix together the olive oil, sugar, salt and white wine vinegar for the pickling liquor
- Season both sides of the mackerel fillets with salt and pepper on skin side only. Liberally cover with the pickle and cook on the barbecue until crispy and charred. For an extra special touch, blow torch the mackerel to give it an even more pronounced charring
- To serve, spread some of the celeriac mayonnaise across 4 plates. Set the Parma ham around and sprinkle with the salad herbs. Place the mackerel in the middle of the plate and drizzle with a spoon of the pickle.
Your weekly dose of Cornish cheer!
When you can’t be in your favourite place all the time, catch up on the latest stories, upcoming events, holiday ideas, and offers with a newsletter straight to your inbox. Terms and Conditions / GDPR compliance: by providing personally identifiable information Visit Cornwall will use it to provide you with ongoing information about their products and services. No one from Visit Cornwall will rent, sell or lease this personally identifiable information to other companies or individuals.
Find us on socials and stay connected with the Cornwall you love.