Beach Wedding Photos
Handy hints for planning a chic coastal wedding photo shoot in Cornwall...
For the best seaside wedding photos in the UK there can only be one option – Cornwall. Its rugged coastline and soft, sandy beaches with intimate coves and dramatic viewpoints make for stunning backdrops to any big day.
While saying ‘I do’ before heading down to the lapping waves may be many a bride’s idea of the perfect wedding day, it’s important to prepare in order to ensure that the seaside photo setting is what you really want.
1) Avoid the ‘lobster’ look – on a Summer’s day, prevent burning by ensuring you, your husband-to-be and guests all wear appropriate skin protection. No one wants a bright red faces in their photos. So, why not have bottles of sunscreen available at your venue?
2) Ditch the heels – killer heels may be gorgeous, but they’re not too practical for walking on sand. Invest in a pair of sparkly sandals and you could even provide your guests with flip-flops.
3) Enjoy a first dance on the beach – how many people can say they have done that on their wedding day? Dance the night away with sand between your toes.
4) Arrive in style – forget the horse and carriage. Wedding photos by the beach have to be laid back and effortlessly stylish. Why not consider arriving by boat, or turn up in a vintage camper van?
5) Dress in true beach style – while Kate Middleton’s gown was to die for, it might be worth rethinking your dress to suit your seaside venue. Think floaty, flowing chiffon and effortlessly wavy hair.
6) Get inspired – with such stunning surroundings, take the opportunity to draw inspiration from the sea. Decorate your space with aqua blue accents, shells and personalised pebbles. Or, go retro and give personalised sticks of rock as favours and create a ‘Brighton Pier’ style photo booth.
7) Embrace the weather – glorious sunshine is the dream forecast for a beach wedding. However, sometimes you just can’t guarantee it. Rather than fretting over the possibility of rain, make sure you have a ‘plan b’. Stormy skies can also make really ethereal and dramatic photos!
8) Picture perfect – discuss with your photographer what beaches or seaside locations provide the best backgrounds and get them to advise you of what works well for beach shots.
9) Food for thought – channel all things seaside with a themed menu. Opt for a retro fish and chip supper, exotic seafood paella, or a beach barbecue fit for surf gods. And, why not create a Cornish beach-themed cake, decorated with golden caster sugar for sand?
10) Relax! Having wedding photos by the seaside or beach should be as relaxing as the location itself. Throw ‘Bridezilla’ stress out the window and enjoy your wedding as much as your guests will.
One important thing to remember
Beaches in Cornwall are not licensed for legal marriage ceremonies. Check out our list of Approved venues.