Mevagissey - map

Mevagissey - map

For a short Audio Guide about Mevagissey click below   

  

Narrow streets and steep valley sides lead down to the centre of old Mevagissey where the distinctive twin harbour provides a safe haven for the many fishing boats that land their daily catch of skate, lobster, plaice and sole. In typical picture postcard style, pubs, cafes, galleries and shops cluster around the harbour walls and line the pretty streets.

Named after two Irish saints, St Meva and St Issey, the village dates back to at least 1313 and during the 1800s Mevagissey prospered on the back of the abundant source of pilchards out to sea. Around the maze of streets you’ll find plenty of seafood restaurants and there is nothing more sublimely Cornish than tucking into some local scallops or mackerel and ending the evening with a walk along the harbour wall with lights of the village twinkling on the water.

Nearby are The Lost Gardens of Heligan which underwent a famous restoration after decades of neglect and now brims with an amazing array of sub- tropical flowers, trees and plants and the Pentewan trail, an easy-going 5 mile round trip from the beach at Pentewan to the village of London Apprentice and back. The trail runs along the bed of an old narrow gauge railway which once took clay and tin ore to the harbour at Pentewan until it silted up and the railway ceased operation in 1916.