The Old Rectory
Situated 1.5 miles from the harbour village of Boscastle on the beautiful north Cornish coast. Within an hours drive of the M5 at Exeter. An ideal base to visit Cornwall's Eden Project, Lanhydrock House, a variety of Cornish gardens, unspoilt beaches and many other Cornish treasures.
About the Old Rectory
Converted to a Bed and Breakfast in 2000, the high standards explain why they have received 5*’s with a Gold Award every year since. The owners have carefully preserved the Victorian features that make this house so special, including the sash windows, fireplaces, picture rails and elegant staircase. The Veranda and conservatory that were built with the house have been restored back to their former glory.
The house is surrounded by 3 acres of beautiful mature south facing gardens including a productive Victorian walled garden. Thomas Hardy stayed here as a young architect and met and fell in love with Emma Lavinia Gifford. The romance led to the novel 'A Pair of Blue Eyes', and to some of his finest poetry.
Guests are welcome to enjoy a drink in the sitting room or on the viewing deck overlooking the Valency valley and sea. All the produce used for meals is either from the garden or sourced locally.
Staying at the Old Rectory
- 4 uniquely decorated rooms, all en-suite
- King-size, double or twin beds
- Garden and woodland views
- Some with Victorian fireplaces
- One with luxury whirlpool bath
- Power showers
- Some rooms with desks, coffee tables and chairs
- All rooms with central heating and hypoallergenic bedding
- Well stocked hospitality tray with Fairtrade products plus delicious homemade shortbread biscuits
- Hairdryer, towels, bath robes, flat-screen TV, radio alarm, information pack, books and local magazines
- Iron and board available on request. All rooms can now access free wireless internet
- All rooms have a laundry bag- the owners will wash and air dry any clothes for you free of charge (for bookings of 2 nights or more)
- Complimentary newspaper of your choice delivered every morning except Sundays
The Stable is situated at the rear of the house and has its own separate entrance. Centrally heated throughout with its own wood burning stove. King size double bed, a sofa bed and ensuite with a bath and shower. One well behaved dog allowed in this room only. Please notify when you book. One off cleaning fee of £8.00 per stay for dogs. £25 extra per night for an extra person on the sofa-bed. Please email or phone to book a third person.
The guest lounge has double French doors opening out onto the Veranda and lawn. In winter it’s the perfect place to curl up by the log-burning stove with a good book. Hospitality tray with ground coffee and homemade biscuits provided.
Breakfast served in the dining room between 8.30 and 10am. All dietary requirements catered for please advise when booking. The Conservatory provides an evening meal dining experience for 8 people, or more by arrangement.
- Boscastle village with it's Elizabethan harbour, craft shops, places to eat and drink - 1.5 miles
- Museum of Witchcraft
- Woodland and coastal walks
- Tintagel Castle (EH) - 6 miles
- Port Isaac - picturesque harbour location of TVs Doc Martin - 15 miles
- Bodmin Moor with scenic walks
- Secluded sandy coves at Tregardock and Bossiney, remote beaches with great geology such as Strangles
- If you're looking for surf there is plenty of choice - Crackington Haven (10 mins), Widemouth Bay (20 mins), Trebarwith (20 mins) and Polzeath (30 mins)
Cornwall Tourism Awards 2012 - Sustainable Tourism Award - Gold