Watergate Bay beach
Watergate Bay beach, about 3 miles from Newquay on the North Cornwall coast, is a large beach. Two miles of golden sand at low tide stretches towards Newquay and out to sea enormous waves come in from the Atlantic providing a spectacular sight and a popular surfing and kitesurfing spot.
It is a large, open bay and frequently picks up swell from the Atlantic and is popular with families and surfers. Watergate Bay is a 15 minute drive from Newquay or a 45 minute walk, however this is a strenuous walk with many hills and valleys. The beach is a European Designated beach and has achieved the highest standard for UK bathing water.
Access There are several access paths down to the beach. The easiest access path is in front of the hotel in the valley.
Sand chairs are available from Watergate Bay Hotel. Telephone: 01637860543
Sand chairs are provided by Cornwall Mobility in partnership with Disability Cornwall and Isles of Scilly.
Parking There are two beach side car parks.
Lifeguard cover There are RNLI lifeguards from mid May to the end of September.
Who should visit? The two miles of golden sand and azure sea make this a fantastic beach for surfers and activity lovers of all ages and abilities. Watergate Bay hosts demonstrations, events, championships and festivals in a variety of sand, sea and air sports as well as the annual Polo on the Beach.
For the more traditional beach goer there are also plenty of rock pools for the children to play in as well as designated safe swimming areas in the sea. The beach is patrolled by RNLI Lifeguards during the summer months. Jamie Oliver’s Fifteen Cornwall restaurant and social enterprise, directly overlooks the bay, along with the contemporary Watergate Bay Hotel and shoreline restaurant, The Beach Hut, and the beach shop and Venus take-away.
Amenities Fantastic amenities including:
- In the valley adjacent to the beach there is a pub serving food all day
- On the beach there are cafes and restaurants including Jamie Oliver's Fifteen
- Year round events calendar
- Famous for the location of the Extreme Academy, if you want to learn how to surf, kite surf, paddle board, waveski or handplane then here’s the place for top notch tuition and equipment hire
- Regular events like Polo on the Beach and national surfing championships take place at the Extreme Academy. Watergate Bay always has an exciting buzz which makes it justifiably popular with avid surfers and families alike.
Weekend lifeguard cover in April. Full lifeguard cover from the 5th of May until the 30th of September. Weekend lifeguard cover in October and full cover from the 20th-28th of October (2018).
Dogs are allowed all year round