Wheal Martyn Clay Works
Whether you want to find out more about Cornwall’s billion pound China Clay mining industry, explore the Victorian clay works, visit the interactive discovery centre, stroll through the nature trails and woodland walks or give the kids chance to let off steam in acres of historic grounds, Wheal Martyn is truly unique and has something for everyone, even the dog! You’ll also see Cornwall’s largest working waterwheel and at ‘Pit View’ be amazed by the spectacular modern working China Clay pit with giant machines in action.
What’s on offer at Wheal Martyn:
- Indoor interactive displays telling the story of the men, women and children who lived, worked and played in the shadow of the china clay tips
- Cornwall’s largest working water wheel
- Fully preserved Victorian china clay works, machinery and equipment exhibitions
- Vintage commercial vehicles and locomotive
- Children’s woodland play area
- Acres of nature trails and woodland walks teeming with wild flowers, birds and aquatic life
- Visitor platform overlooking a working China Clay Pit
- Licensed cafe with outside terrace offering the best Cornish food and drink
- Gift shop selling a unique range of quality gifts and souvenirs
Wheal Martyn provides a superb combination of interest, education and fun for people of all ages.
In addition we also provide:
- Children’s activity sheets
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Temporary Exhibitions
- Children’s activity days (call for details)
- Cycle/walking trail to St Austell and Eden Project (Part of the Clay Trails Project)
- Free car/coach parking
- Dogs on leads welcome throughout the site
- Open throughout the year (Closed over Christmas and New Year)
You may notice some changes and precautions we have put in place to maximise your safety on your visit:
All visitors to Wheal Martyn now need to pre-book timed arrival slots online.
If you are a Residents' Pass holder, you also need to pre-book a slot, either online or by calling 01726 850362.
This will ensure social distancing guidelines can be maintained. Once you arrive, you can stay as long as you like, within our opening hours.
Please ensure you print your tickets or save them on your mobile, ready to show on arrival.
Our booking system will ask if you would like to Gift Aid your ticket. If you are a UK tax payer, please consider opting for this – it enables our charity to claim an additional 25% of your ticket value from the government at no extra cost to you.
Opening hours 10.00am - 5.00pm