Wheal Martyn Clay Works
The UK's only china clay muesum, set in a 26 acre country park with woodland walks and access to the Clay Trails for walking and cycling.
Whether you want to find out more about Cornwall’s billion pound china clay mining industry, explore the Victorian clay works, visit the interactive discovery centre, stroll through the nature trails and woodland walks or give the kids chance to let off steam in acres of historic grounds, Wheal Martyn is truly unique and has something for everyone, even the dog! You’ll also see Cornwall’s largest working waterwheel and at ‘Pit View’ be amazed by the spectacular modern working china clay pit with giant machines in action.
What’s on offer at Wheal Martyn:
- Indoor interactive displays telling the story of the men, women and children who lived, worked and played in the shadow of the china clay tips
- Cornwall’s largest working water wheel
- Fully preserved Victorian china clay works, machinery and equipment exhibitions
- Vintage commercial vehicles and locomotive
- Children’s woodland play area
- Acres of nature trails and woodland walks teeming with wild flowers, birds and aquatic life
- Visitor platform overlooking a working china clay pit
- Licensed cafe with outside terrace offering the best Cornish food and drink
- Gift shop selling a unique range of quality gifts and souvenirs
- Wheal Martyn provides a superb combination of interest, education and fun for people of all ages.
In addition we also provide:
- Children’s activity sheets
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Temporary Exhibitions
- Children’s activity days (call for details)
- Cycle/walking trail to St Austell and Eden Project (part of the Clay Trails Project)
- Free car/coach parking
- Dogs on leads welcome throughout the site
- Open throughout the year (closed over Christmas and New Year)
Opening hours: 10.00am-4.00pm (winter) and 10.00am-5.00pm (summer)
- St Austell
Wheal Martyn Carthew Bodmin Road St. Austell Cornwall PL26 8XG
tel: 01726 850362
Your weekly dose of Cornish cheer!
When you can’t be in your favourite place all the time, catch up on the latest stories, upcoming events, holiday ideas, and offers with a newsletter straight to your inbox. Terms and Conditions / GDPR compliance: by providing personally identifiable information Visit Cornwall will use it to provide you with ongoing information about their products and services. No one from Visit Cornwall will rent, sell or lease this personally identifiable information to other companies or individuals.
Find us on socials and stay connected with the Cornwall you love.