Geevor Tin Mine
More than a mine, more than a museum - located in Pendeen on the dramatic Cornish coastline, Geevor tin mine is one of the largest preserved mine sites in the country and a Cornish Mining World Heritage Site. Housed in two acres of listed buildings, Geevor’s collections and guides bring the story of Cornwall’s rich industrial past to life.
Why you should visit:
* Experience the 18th century underground tour
* Get hands-on in the interactive Hard Rock museum
* Discover the authentic miners’ story in the Miners’ Dry
* Explore the abandoned buildings
* Walk the dramatic Cornish coastline
* Pan for gems
* Family activities and events programme all year - check our web site for details
Cornwall Tourism Awards 2014/15 - Art, Museum and Industrial Attraction of the Year - Bronze Award
Cornwall Tourism Awards 2013/14 - Art, Museum & Maritime Attraction - Gold Award
Cornwall Tourism Awards 2013/14 - Winner of Winners
South West Tourism Awards 2013/14 - Small Visitor Attrction of the Year - Silver Award
Cornwall Tourism Awards 2013/14 - Historic & Heritage Property and Country House - Silver Award
SUMMER, SUNSHINE and a lot to do at GEEVOR MINE
Don’t miss Geevor's special events
- 21 July - Sword Casting with Neil Burridge
- 27 July - Local Archaeology Walk
- 29 July - Archaeology Talk
- 28 July & 8 August - Storytelling with master storyteller Mark Harandon
- 2 August & 23 August - Storytelling with master storyteller John Brolly - Don’t miss their unique Geevor and Tin stories!
- 7 August - Geevor Gala Day: meet lots of former Geevor workers who undertook a variety of jobs. There will be fantastic events throughout the day including hand drilling, panning for gems, Wheal Mexico Mine and a few surprises on the day.
- 16 August - Merv and Alison Davey will be back with their Poldark themed music
17 July – 2 September
- Sundays - the ever popular Miner’s Talk by a former Geevor man
- Mondays - Poldark Days with dressing up opportunity, hand drilling, crafts…
- Our Cornish Tuesdays sparkle with a variety of mineral activities and demos, including pasty making and more as well as face painting. As well as story telling and Cornish music.
- Wednesdays - Miner’s Talk by a Geevor man, tin vanning and boxhole building.
- Thursdays - “BE A MINER FOR A DAY” with the popular kibble filling competition for children (fabulous prize for the Winner of the Day!), a “nuts & bolts” competition, hand drilling and tin vanning. There is also Stone Carving with Rory Te’Tigo and Kibble Filling Competition.
- Fridays - "LET'S ROCK IT" with sparkling Geevor/mineral games and a miner's tale.