Outdoor Theatre at Bedruthan
Situated on a spectacular meadow overlooking the glittering bay of Mawgan Porth, Summer 2022 at Bedruthan Hotel, will see a stream of exciting outdoor theatre performances for all ages and theatrical appetites. Working with a variety of non-professional and well-respected theatre companies to put on a range of performances, the open-air series will kick off on the 7thMay with a production of David Walliams’ Awful Auntie by Heartbreak Productions. Bedruthan’s unique clifftop location (usually known for its scenic sensory spa garden) will be transformed into a beach side outdoor theatre, welcoming families, couples and theatre boffs alike for a bite of culture as the sun sets. July will see timeless classics such as William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, whilst little ones can look forward to August with well-known favourites such as Rapunzel and Cinderella taking the stage.
A Very Cornish Picnic
Pick your spot and get comfortable with cosy rugs and garden cushions laid out across the sea front meadow. Guests can make the most of the open-air experience with bespoke hampers available to purchase with tickets, promising a range of sweet and savoury treats. Expect marinated olives and handmade sandwiches from the hotel’s artisan bakery, along with Cornish specials such as scotch eggs and veggie quiche to showcase the best of local produce. Whilst picnic fanatics load up on pork pies and seasonal salads, those with a sweet tooth will be delighted to find fresh strawberries paired with Cornish clotted cream and a select smoothie of the day.
Creativity on the Coast
Guests looking to extend their stay can roll from the theatre to one of the hotel’s colourful sea view rooms. Bedruthan’s newly refurbished interiors boast plenty of space to accommodate families, couples and solo travellers with breath-taking views of Mawgan Porth Beach. A scandi-inspired retreat, Bedruthan was designed with its environment in mind, providing bright, airy spaces that celebrate the Cornish landscape. When not taking part in one of the hotel’s creative workshops or enjoying the open-air theatre, there are multiple communal spaces for guests to unwind, from Sensory Spa Gardens to relaxation lounges, fireside, and poolside.
The Full Line Up:
- Saturday 7th May, 2pm & 6pm and Sunday 8th May, 2pm – David Walliams’ Awful Auntie by Heartbreak Productions (https://www.bedruthan.com/events/david-walliams-awful-auntie)
- Tuesday 19th July, 7pm – A Midsummer Night’s Dream by Quantum Theatre (https://www.bedruthan.com/events/theatre-a-midsummer-nights-dream)
- Saturday 23rd July, 3pm – The Reluctant Dragon by Quantum Theatre (https://www.bedruthan.com/events/theatre-the-reluctant-dragon)
- Friday 12th August, 1.30pm & 5pm – Rapunzel by Immersion Theatre (https://www.bedruthan.com/events/theatre-rapunzel)
- Tuesday 16th August, 7pm – Much Ado About Murder by Heartbreak Productions (https://www.bedruthan.com/events/theatre-much-ado-about-murder)
- Tuesday 23rd August, 6pm – Cinderella by Chapterhouse Theatre Company (https://www.bedruthan.com/events/theatre-cinderella)
- Saturday 6th August, PM and Evening To be announced at a later date
HOW: For more information see www.bedruthan.com/events/. Running times vary per show but are each around 2 hours, including an interval. Tickets range from £16-18 per adult, with children’s tickets at £12 (under twos and dogs go free). Picnic menu is £30 for two people: menu subject to changes. Nightly rates at Bedruthan start from £165 on a B&B basis.
Unfortunately, we don't have space for guests in the hotel car park, so ticket holders are advised to park in Mawgan Porth and walk up the coastal path, or along Tredragon Road.