Autumn Seed Search
Growing and planting more native trees is a vital and important step in improving the natural environment. Thankfully, trees naturally disperse seeds that have the potential to become seedlings, then saplings before becoming tomorrow's trees. However, there is a pressing need for more trees across Cornwall and that’s where you come in!
Collecting and growing native tree seeds is a hands-on and straightforward way to help nature in its recovery and improve the environment where you live - for both wildlife and people. Best of all, your efforts now have a tangible impact long into the future!
To find out everything you need to start you Autumn Seed Search simply head to cornwallwildlifetrust.org.uk/seedsearch where you can:
- Find out how to get prepared by sourcing compost, sand and containers
- Learn which seeds are best to pick during which autumn months
- Understand how to store and plant the seeds you collect
- Let us know which seeds you collected
- Sign up for regular updates including how to care for your seeds as they grow and, eventually, where to plant your tree for maximum environmental impact
As the much-quoted proverb says: “The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second-best time is now”. Give Mother Nature a helping hand by heading out on an Autumn Seed Search; the impact of planting just one seed could last for generations.