Autumn at Wheal Martyn
it's all happening this autumn at Wheal Martyn Country Park....
Heritage Open Days Weekend: 10th and 11th September, 10am-5pm
Part of the National Heritage Open Days Festival, Wheal Martyn’s free event celebrates our local clay country history and culture. Come along and join in with some of the activities on offer for the weekend, including:
• Crib Time Yarns – join one of our volunteers over a cup of tea and a cake in the café! Malcolm Gould will share some of his stories of clay mining, showing photos and film from the museum archive as he chats at various times over the weekend.
• Sponsored Walk – Off the beaten clay trail - Join a family-friendly sponsored walk to fundraise for Wheal Martyn Trust. The route will explore the clay trails and offer a glimpse behind the scenes into the working clay pits. Bring a picnic and sturdy shoes.
Time: 11am start, Contact us for a sponsor form firstname.lastname@example.org
• Storytelling – enjoy a Cornish tale told by our very own with Sian Powell. Sian will be sharing her mystery tales on Saturday and Sunday afternoon
• Arts and Crafts – get creative and be inspired by the clay landscapes and tales. A selection of crafts will be available to try. Some items will incur a small cost.
• Pit View Film – watch out stunning short film of Wheal Martyn Clay Pit, taken by drone camera.
No booking needed – just drop in
Price: Free activities in the atrium, café and discovery centre. A ticket or valid annual pass will be required for the rest of the museum site.
‘People of the Industry’ Breakfast: 1st October 9.30am
Treat yourself to a delicious full Cornish breakfast at Wheal Martyn alongside people from the china clay industry, before enjoying a fascinating guided tour of the historic china clay works.
Further details: £20 per person, Booking essential. Price includes a 12 month annual pass. £12 for annual pass holders.
Location: Wheal Martyn Café
Wheal Martyn Paws in the Park: 2nd October 10am to 4pm
Join Wheal Martyn’s pawsome family-friendly day of dog fun! Show off your pooches in the dog show, tackle the dog agility course, explore a treasure trail and lots more!
Further details: More details on our website.
Harvest Fun at Wheal Martyn; 24th -28th October, 31st October - 3rd November 11am-3pm
The Cornish version of Halloween was Allantide which included the giving of allan apples as tokens of good luck. This October half term, enjoy a range of exciting harvest activities such as apple printing, corn dolly making, clay play and bug house painting at Wheal Martyn!
Price: £1 to £4
Location: Wheal Martyn Learning Space